- Four of GE’s Millennial designers share their tips for remodeling your kitchen on a tight budget
- New Artistry™ Series ranges, dishwashers, microwaves and refrigerators add style and flair in two DIY budget kitchen remodels
Louisville, Ky. — March 20, 2014 — It’s easy to fall in love with the incredible kitchen remodels on TV, but those makeovers can take a huge chunk of savings. An average minor kitchen remodel in the United States now exceeds $18,500, and the price tag of a major kitchen remodel is nearly $54,000.1 Young homeowners and first-time homebuyers typically can’t spend that kind of money. But, style doesn’t have to be costly.
Four Millennial designers from GE Appliances (NYSE:GE)—Tomas DeLuna, Elliott Koehler, Anjuli Calvert and Sally Pipkin—share their “remodeling on a budget” tips for handy homeowners; one budget is under $1,700 and the other is under $5,000.2
Kitchen Remodel Under $1,700
“People remodel for a lot of different reasons,” said Tomas DeLuna. “Maybe they’ve purchased a fixer-upper or want a kitchen that better reflects their taste. Maybe their kitchen is just outdated and needs to function in a more modern way. With some simple changes, you can make an incredible impact.”
Here is what GE’s designers suggest:
- Start with a thorough cleaning and de-cluttering. When counters and floor space are clean, rooms look larger.
- Next, strip old wallpaper and roll primer over dated paint colors. Put a fresh coat of paint on the ceiling, walls and trim. Sally Pipkin advises homeowners to limit the palette to white, black, the popular grays, earthen colors, and bronze or other metallic colors. Then, make the whole kitchen pop with bright accessories. If existing cabinets are in good shape, sand, prime and paint them. Estimated total cost for primer, paint and supplies is $250.
- Replace old drawer knobs and door handles. Estimated cost for new mid-priced cabinet hardware is $130. Update overhead lighting fixtures, install under-cabinet lighting and add new pendant lights over the kitchen’s island, breakfast bar or pub table and chairs. Elliott Koehler notes that homeowners should pay particular attention to creating zones of light and make the best use of the intensity of light in the kitchen. If you are looking for clean, crisp light, add GE reveal® light bulbs. They help eliminate dingy yellow or gray tones, and brighten interior spaces. Estimated lighting cost for fixtures and bulbs is $400.3
- DeLuna was recently challenged with designing a stylish and affordable line of appliances for younger consumers. “We designed the GE Artistry™ Series to provide the look consumers want and the features they need—all at a price they can afford,” said DeLuna. “The look is simple, unique and approachable, with clean lines and subtly rounded shapes. The high-gloss enamel finish and chrome accents keep a classic appearance, while retaining a modern appeal,” he said. Make the focus of the kitchen a stylish new Artistry electric or gas range ($649) and an over-the-range microwave ($239) in black or white finishes.
All the designers agreed that one or two Artistry appliances combined with fresh paint, new cabinet hardware and updated lighting could make a huge impact. Total cost? Less than $1,700.
Kitchen Remodel under $5,000
For a budget of about $5,000, homeowners could do all of the things outlined above, and also buy all of the GE Artistry appliances. The entire suite—range, over-the-range microwave, dishwasher and bottom-freezer refrigerator—is available for $2,636.4 The Artistry dishwasher and refrigerator are ENERGY STAR® qualified, saving consumers money for years to come.
A new laminate floor ($700) and a subway-tile backsplash ($750) add the final finishes for a total of $4,866.5 “A white tile backsplash with gray grout will brighten and modernize your kitchen,” said Pipkin.
About GE Appliances
GE Appliances is at the forefront of building innovative, energy-efficient appliances that improve people’s lives. GE Appliances’ products include refrigerators, freezers, cooking products, dishwashers, washers, dryers, air conditioners, water filtration systems and water heaters. General Electric (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter to build a world that works better. For more information on GE Appliances, visit www.ge.com/appliances.
1. “Remodeling Cost vs. Value Report 2013,” Remodeling magazine website, http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2013/costvsvalue/national.aspx.
2. Project estimates are based on costs for a 12 x 12-foot kitchen and assume that (1) there are no structural changes, (2) that homeowners are willing and able to do much of the work themselves, and (3) that the homeowners own basic household tools. Estimates are based on prices found online and at Home Depot in Louisville, Ky., in fall 2013. Costs will vary by location. GE Artistry appliance costs are the manufacturer’s suggested retail prices. Estimates do not include state or federal taxes.
3. Does not include services of an electrician.
4. Model numbers: range, ABS45DF (electrical) or AGBS45DEF (gas); microwave, AVM4160DF; dishwasher, ADT521PGF; and refrigerator, ABE20EGE.
5. Does not include professional installation.